-->

Monday, June 25, 2012

Beauty on a Budget: Wet 'n Wild Juicy SPF 15 Lip Balm

I've never been a huge fan of lip gloss, but I love tinted lip balm.  When everyone else was using Kissing Potion roller lip glosses (sticky but tasty) in the 80s, I was obsessed with Maybelline Kissing Koolers.  I loved those.  I'd totally buy those now.  They stopped making Kissing Koolers a long time ago, probably around the time that we were all convinced that dark berry-colored Revlon lipstick looked really great on us (I feel sure it didn't).   


I've tried dozens of lip products since then and found a few that I really liked, but Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment is the one I've lingered on the last five or so years.  However, at   $22.50 each (at Sephora) they are not exactly budget-savvy.


Enter Wet 'n Wild Juicy Lip Balm (with SPF 15).  An oversized lip balm, available for about $3, in four flavors (red rasperry, cherry, strawberry and watermelon).  These aren't as big as the jumbo Bonne Bell Lip Smackers (another hot 80s beauty product, but this one could be used as a Kubotan), but they are larger than your average tube of Chapstick.


These balms leave a very light, translucent tint and very little shine, but they do glide on easily without feeling waxy or heavy.  They don't have much staying power, but they do have an initial and very light fruity scent/flavor that you might enjoy reapplying anyway.  I chose the Red Raspberry and found the tint turned a little too hot pink with a touch of purple for me, but it wasn't a bad color - it just didn't suit me.  I would be willing to try the Cherry one, which appears to have the most tint to it (see the Beauty Junkies Unite review for color swatches of all four).  


While this isn't the hottest product on the market, I actually do think it is a good product for someone who just wants to use something to keep their lips moisturized and protected from the sun while adding just a hint of color.  You also really can't beat that price.

Still not sure?  Here are some links to other sites for reviews on this product:

MakeupAlley.com:  Some people have complained of a chemical taste.  I haven't experienced that, but it should be noted.  One reviewer said it burned her lips, which would have convinced me to not try the product, but I've tried it and not had that experience (and I have freakishly sensitive skin).


Beauty Junkies Unite:  The original review I found for this product that made me want to try it.  


Do you prefer a drugstore brand or something more fancy? Is there another product you think we should try?  Leave a comment for us here!

2 comments:

  1. I am a lip product fanatic. My personal best is 27 separate lip products at one time in my purse. I got hooked on both Kissing Potion and Kissing Koolers ( except the mint chocolate one made it look like you had dirt on your lips) Anyway, I personally love Philosophy 's lip gloss. At $10 a pop, they come in a variety of colors and flavors. They last a super long time and I wear them to work, to the mall, or for a night out. I still love all my lip products, but always look for philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 27?! You totally win. I did love Kissing Potion briefly (and when I found the photo in that link, it all came back to me) and Kissing Koolers Tutti Fruit and Peppermint Twist were my favorites of those (I really liked the marbling). I haven't tried the Philosophy lip glosses, but that is a great price. The next time I can afford Sephora, I'll have to try one out!

      Delete

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.