-->

Friday, June 22, 2012

A Tale of Beauty Gone By

I learned a long time ago that, in the wonderful world of beauty, you have to be careful what you get attached to.  There is always the possibility that it may not last.  From my first signature scent (Victoria's Secret Raspberry Glace - we're not counting the Coty Wild Musk I wore when I was ten here) to my favorite foot cream (LUSH Pied de Pepper), I have loved and lost quite a few beauty items.  And while I do not live in fear of a new favorite being discontinued, it is always great to hear that there is sometimes hope for a sort of resurrection.


My mother and I recently had a conversation about discontinued perfumes and she mentioned her love of a Shiseido fragrance that had once been discontinued.  She was quite disappointed until the day she found out that Shiseido's one-time perfume art director, Serge Lutens, had gone on to create his own line of fragrances and had relaunched her favorite Shiseido perfume, Feminite du Bois.  Although she no longer sticks to just one perfume every day, sometimes you find a fragrance that changes or enhances your mood in just the right way and it's nice when you can still pull that bottle out for special occasions or maybe on Wednesdays.



After she told me about this wonderful rediscovery, I looked around for some of my old favorites.  I had no luck but I did find that some brands (like Shiseido) let you know about a reformulation, or at least push you in the right direction of a similar product, when they discontinue certain items.  This does not mean that I have forgiven Shiseido for discontinuing my favorite nail polish...  Though it happened so long ago that I can't even remember the name of the color...it was translucent...and pearlescent...not helpful, is it?


Of course, sometimes a reformulation just isn't the same.  Something gets lost in translation and that perfect pink lipstick you once loved has just a tinge too much orange in the newer version.  Thus you find yourself on the hunt again.  That said, I'd be lying if I told you that I don't enjoy the hunt just a little bit.  And I admit, sometimes I hunt for a new item even when I already have a favorite.  Aren't I fickle?


Now I must ask you to get a little distracted for a moment and go to the Serge Lutens website - right this very second.  His biography is a timeline that shows photos of him (more can be found under A Few Images) and his artwork from various points in his life (if you do nothing else, click on 1974).  If you have an appreciation for beauty, art and/or perfume, I think you will really enjoy his site.
"Perfume is a form of writing, an ink, a choice made in the first person, the dot on the i, a weapon, a courteous gesture, part of the instant, a consequence."  
Serge Lutens

2 comments:

  1. My favorite perfume is Noa! it makes me feel so light and fresh during the whole day. I love how it mixes with my bodes own sweet fragrance LOL. It too is discontinued.... http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_cid_perfume-am-lid_N-am-pid_988w__products.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With notes of white musk, peony, coriander and coffee, wow - it sounds like a great perfume, but I can't find anything remote like it on the market. One of my favorite fragrances is coriander, which I always forget about when I'm writing about perfume because I wore the Kiehl's Coriander Lotion. They do sell a coriander oil that smells wonderful: http://www.kiehls.com/Essence-Oils-with-Roller-Ball-Applicator/762,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=body-fragrance.

      But I wonder if Bleu by Paul & Joe would interest you? It has coriander, musk and floral notes, as well as sandalwood and patchouli (maybe that depth would make up for the lack of a coffee note?): http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129757.html.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.