-->

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Beauty on a Budget: Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector B.B. Cream


My first impression of Garnier's BB Cream was that it smelled like a grandma (which is a good smell, in a comforting way, but not one I want to be associated with quite yet), but it was very easy to apply.  Since the Clinique one I've been using (which I do like) has to be mixed with some face cream/lotion to spread over my skin easily, I thought it drew about even.  I also assumed the smell would go away.  

I had a moment of worry, just after I finished applying it, because my skin stung a little and I suddenly realized I had forgotten the first rule of testing skincare: test a small amount on a patch of skin the night before.  Fortunately, it went away quickly (as I stood very still, wondering if I should rinse it off straight away), so I decided to keep going.  

I had really high hopes for this item because it's half the cost of the Clinique one and I was hoping to find something more affordable.  So I was willing to push through with the odd fragrance, the slight sting at first and even the heavy way it felt on my skin - which is very much an oily-skinned-person's aversion.  When you grow up with greasy skin, the last thing you want to do is put something heavy on it that feels like it just won't soak in.  But I had the whole day at home by myself to try this out, so I looked past it, documented how I felt about it thus far and kept on.


By midday, my skin felt incredibly greasy.  I may have had oily skin at one time, but it's more combination these days and I was in an air-conditioned house all day.  This felt like high-school-years greasy.  I decided to give it till I finished my work for the day and by then my skin felt coated in grease, slightly itchy and the smell hadn't dissipated.  It sounds harsh, but I couldn't wait to get it off my face.  


The good news is that a simple makeup remover took away that feeling, so I didn't have an adverse reaction that needed aloe or a topical cream. 


Results:  Felt heavy, made my skin look and feel greasy, did not even out my skin tone, sun protection factor is only 15, strong smell, did not hydrate my skin.  The price is better than the one I currently use (anywhere from $12.50 for 2.5 oz vs $37 for 1.4 oz), but that's not enough to make me reconsider.  Someone with very dry skin might be okay with it, but I think there are better products out there.

Still not sure?  Here are some links to other sites for reviews on this product:

Amazon.com: Mixed reviews.  At least one person had a similar experience to mine.


MakeupAlley.com:  A lot of mentions about the heavy feeling and quite a few people said that it's not a true BB cream (more like a tinted moisturizer).


Ulta.com: More positive reviews than the other two, but I still get the impression that only those with dry skin enjoy the product and I'm not the only one who noticed the strong smell.


Which BB Cream do you use?  Do you prefer a drugstore brand or something more fancy? Is there another product you think we should try?  Leave a comment for us here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.