-->

Monday, July 9, 2012

Beauty on a Budget: NYC Nail Polish

Before I get into this review, a few people have asked about my favorite Sonia Kashuk Nail Colour, Rock Star.  I couldn't find it on Amazon (so I can't provide a product link photo), but the embedded link above will lead you to Target, where I originally bought it.  Rock Star (13) isn't currently listed, but will hopefully come around again (check your local Target, they may still have it).  The Noir Lacquer post here gives a good representation of this shimmery indigo polish (shimmery, not opalescent).  On to the review...

Target is always a great place to find good, inexpensive and fun beauty products.  Meg is always a good person to listen to about style and living on a budget.  Combine the two in a conversation about me hating hot pink nail polish and you get a surprise:


MoMa
It turns out that there is a hot pink nail polish that I will actually wear (who knew?!).  And I have Meg and Target to thank for it.  But that's not all - I have completely fallen for the New York Color - In a New York Color Minute nail colors.  At $1.72 each (at Target), these seem too good to be true.  The biggest complaint about them from other reviewers seems to be that they're too thin, but I agree with one of the MakeupAlley reviewers - it makes it easier to control. 

Lincoln Square Lavender
I know everyone's crazy for the Sephora by OPI collection, but I spent the last few years trying a bunch of their polishes and never being satisfied with any of the colors.  So far I've tried five colors from the NYC In A New York Color Minute line - and I love every. single. one.  Granted, the grey and lemony ones probably don't look as good on me as someone younger or more fashionable, but I still really like them.  




All of the colors dry quickly with a glossier finish than I'm used to (requiring no top coat, if you're lazy, like me)  This line also has a mattifying polish, if you're interested.  All of the ones I tried definitely require two coats to avoid streaks, but you get nice, bright, glossy color and after a week my polish hasn't chipped.  I also love that I can actually afford to have a decent selection of great nail color thanks to NYC (the regular NYC line is only 99 cents each!).  



MoMa is the hot pink I was referring to, but it's more a dark fuchsia...I think of hot pink as being a bit on the neon side.  When Meg first told me about it (and showed it to me on her own nails) I wasn't so sure.  I tried it on my toenails and was surprised how much I liked it.  I'm guessing that what bothered me about the color at my last pedicure was the opalescence.  There's just something about bright and dark opalescent polishes that I do not like.  MoMa is my favorite of these five.

Lincoln Square Lavender is a shade or two lighter than MoMa and a great contrast (sorry to tell the world your secrets, Meg!).  I haven't found a single picture of it that doesn't look so purply, so I'll just tell you that it is a nice pink-purple mix, just enough purple to keep it from being bubble gum.  I prefer this one on my fingernails, which is downright shocking - I almost always wear nudes or clear polish on my hands.


Sidewalkers is a cement grey and doesn't have as much blue as most pictures show.  I don't think it makes pale skin look as dead as most of the dove greys out there.



Lexington Yellow is more lemon custard-y then it looks, pale-but-still-bright yellow.


Mulberry Street is not as sheer as I thought it would be (read: wanted it to be), but it's a nice, shimmery nude and, okay, it has a bit of opalescence.  I think this shade is suited for a classy occasion (but I have no class, so I'll have to find another excuse to wear it).  

Other reviews:  Makeup AlleyGlam on the Cheap, additional links to reviews embedded in the nail color names (above).


Is there a product you'd like to learn more about for the Beauty on a Budget section of this blog?  Leave a comment on this post or email us and we'll look into it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.