-->

Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Balm for All Our Woes

I discovered BB Creams at Sephora several months ago by accident.  I had been looking for a good tinted moisturizer with some sun protection, but I couldn't find anything that was just right.  When I saw the Boscia B.B. Cream with SPF 27, I was immediately pulled in...by the packaging.  There were only four brands (Dr. Jart had two of them) at Sephora with a BB or "beauty balm" product at the time:


I ended up with the Clinique Age Defense Bb Cream SPF 30 because it had everything I wanted.  A tinted moisturizer, primer and sunscreen in one (also advertised as antiaging, natural looking and lightweight).  It was fairly mattifying during the winter, but the moment Virginia heated up I had to add powder.  Still, I never liked wearing foundation on my once-oily, sensitive skin but this stuff doesn't feel heavy or like it has to be scraped off at the end of the day.  I have started to mix it with a light moisturizer to apply it, but all the other BB Creams at that time were much thicker.  Having a look around now, I see that there are quite a few more of these creams out there.  Even the Wall Street Journal is writing about them.


BB Creams were first popular in Korea (their popularity spread through Asia, then came to the U.S.) where the BB stood for "blemish balm."  Skinfood (see the two pictured above by them) is a line my friend Nikki started using in Korea and highly recommends.  They have since been restyled as "beauty balms," which makes more sense, as these aren't just to cover the occasional spot.  This type of product may still need to be combined with a moisturizer, a stronger sunscreen or foundation (depending on your skin and what look you're going for), but if you want to minimize your routine (making it cheaper or quicker or, even better, both) this is the product for you.  I went from "cocktailing" four products to just two.  I also have to use very little of the Clinique BB Cream mixed with my regular moisturizer every day, so my first tube has already lasted me several months.

Here are a few from the slightly pricy to incredibly pricy:


And here are a few from the under $20 range:


If you want to know more, Refinery 29 has a great article that can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.